Advice Service

Announcement: Unfortunately the Advice Service will be closed from 1pm on Thursday 9th August, but will reopen as normal at 10am on Friday 10th August.  Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.  If you need advice, email us at or call 0116 223 1132, and we'll get back to you asap.

Announcement: The Education Unit is changing into the Advice Service for 2018-2019 to expand our advice and support to you.  We'll continue to provide advice on academic areas and we will now advise on housing areas and signposting to other services for support. Keep an eye out on these pages and our Facebook for more updates.

Need help with an Academic Appeal?

If you want to appeal your degree classification, award, or a progression decision such as a year without residence, resits, or course termination, we're here to guide you through the process!

Feel free to get in touch with us via our contact form, and we will then get back to you within 2 working days to offer you an appointment, or provide further advice.  You can also drop in to our Advice Service, which is located on the First Floor of the Students' Union (Percy Gee Building).  Opening hours are 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.

In the meantime, you can find further information about the appeals process here.  The appeal form and University guidance can be found on the University website here.  Our Step by Step Guide to Appeals can be found at this page.

Carry on reading below for more information about our service.

How can the Advice Service help you?

We currently provide free advice and guidance on a range of different issues and University processes below.

  • Mitigating Circumstances
  • Academic Appeals
  • Misconduct Issues
  • Complaints
  • Changing Course
  • Suspending or Withdrawing Studies
  • Issues with your course
  • Withdrawal from your course for non-attendance
  • Housing issues
  • Signposting/Accessing further support

Please read through our student friendly step-by-step guides to these processes before getting in touch with us, as they’ll provide you with a good overview of the process you may need to follow. We will signpost you to the relevant guide when we speak with you, so it's always worth getting a step ahead.

How do we help you?

If you feel that you're in need of advice and guidance for whatever reason, you can talk confidentially to one of our friendly advisors, we're always happy to help.

We’ll listen and advise you on the best possible steps you can take for your circumstances, including talking you through processes, working with you on putting together the information you need to collate and reviewing your forms etc before you submit them. We’ll also highlight other services that we’d recommend you get support from and can help communicate your needs to other departments with your consent.  

How can you contact us?

Please fill in the form here, this provides us with all of the initial information we need in order to start effectively advising you. We aim to be back in touch with you within 2 working days.  

We can then work with you however you’d prefer whether that’s making an appointment or dropping in to speak with us in person, emailing us, or speaking with us over Skype or Facebook chat. See all of the ways you can speak with us below.

Contact details:

Location: First Floor of the Percy Gee Building (above Reception).  

Opening hours: 10:00 – 16:00, Monday to Friday throughout the year (excluding bank holidays and University closure days)

Phone: 0116 223 1132


Skype: ed_ucation1 (We are open for drop-ins on Skype between 9:00 and 10:00 on Tuesday mornings, or by appointment)

Facebook chat: ulsuadvice (Follow us for regular updates and access our drop-ins on Facebook chat between 15:30 and 16:30 on Wednesday afternoons, or by appointment)

Twitter: @ulsuadvice (Follow us for regular updates)

If you feel that you need to speak with us urgently and have completed the form above, please do get in touch with us however best for you to let us know you'd like urgent support.

Do you know how Leicester Talks helps you?

If you have an issue that isn't covered by the Advice Service, we recommend that you take a look at our Leicester Talks webpage, where you'll find lists of Union, University, Student-led and Community services, which can help with a wide range of matters.  From mental and physical health, to money concerns, to bullying and harassment, and much more.  Not sure which service to turn to?  You can email us on and we can point you in the right direction.  Find Leicester Talks on Facebook and Twitter

You can also visit the University's website for more information on the support services they provide.  

We are a member of Advice UK a registered charity supporting the UK’s largest network of independent advice services