On Tuesday 8th December 2015 Sally French and Allison Cunningham, both specialist lawyers in sexual offences, the former of which has worked for the Crown Prosecution Service for 25 years, delivered a consent workshop to representatives of each of the sports clubs within the Team Leicester umbrella.
The aims of the workshop were:
· To provide a safe, informal and informative environment to facilitate open and honest discussions
· To explain what the offence of rape actually entails
· To explain what consent really means and how to ensure that you have it
· To challenge ‘lad culture’ attitudes that minimise and blame women for rape
· To educate about offences involving young people
· To educate about offences involving indecent images of young people and ‘revenge porn’
· To highlight the consequences of ‘getting it wrong’
It was both informative and interactive with nearly 100 students in attendance, and proved to be a resounding success. A presentation will be made available to the members who could not attend. The workshop was phase 2 of the #BeTheInfluence campaign, following on from the launch of the Team Leicester Code of Conduct. We as an executive are looking forward to tackling LGBT+ inclusion in sport next term.